This week our Family Meals took us through Afghanistan which is home to both amazing people and a fantastic cuisine. Our past participants from this country have brought with them delicious spices and wonderful breads. Recently, Afghanistan has been back in the news as the U.S. has withdrawn many of its troops and the nation’s struggles have continued as it works towards stability. So, for our recipe this week I’m sharing with you this easy to put together, home style entrée that’s both super healthy and super versatile. The base recipe is really just a starting point where you can easily add in some of the wonderful summer produce that’s around. Have tons of zucchini? They would fit perfectly here. Bell peppers taking over the garden? This is a great vehicle for those too. The key to this recipe is to take your time and really sweat your onions, garlic and spices to release their flavors. This recipe is also a great make ahead one as the spices will get deeper in flavor if made in advance. Serve with some simple steamed rice or flatbread and a crunchy salad on the side. Traditionally an easy salad of cucumbers, tomatoes and onions would be a common sight with this on the Afghan table. Enjoy!
Makes about 3 to 4 Entrée size portions
1 Tablespoon Cumin
1 Tablespoon Coriander
1 Teaspoon Turmeric
1/2 Teaspoon Mint Dry or Fresh
1 15 oz Tomato Canned, chopped or crushed
1 Onion Small, diced or julienne
4 Cloves Garlic Minced
3 Cups Kidney Beans Cooked, canned or dry
1 Cup Vegetable Stock or Water
2 Teaspoons Lemon or Lime Juice
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
¼ Cup Kefir Cheese or Greek Yogurt Optional
Cilantro For Garnish
Salt & Pepper To Taste
1. In a large pot sauté the onion in a few tablespoons of olive oil until beginning to caramelize
2. Add garlic along with the cumin, coriander and turmeric. Cook one minute more
3. Add the tomato, beans and stock or water (can also use reserved bean cooking liquid if using dried beans). Bring to a simmer.
4. Simmer gently for approximately 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
5. Stir in the mint and lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Garnish with cilantro and serve with a spoonful of Greek Yogurt or Kefir Cheese on top or stirred in